This immersive two-week course provides an accelerated pathway to the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines for those who do not currently hold the Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits.
About the course
This intensive two week course guides students towards a high-level knowledge and understanding of wine. The course covers the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines over a longer period in order to incorporate the necessary base knowledge as well as all the Level 3 learning material. Students also benefit from a visit to an English vineyard and winery to experience a working winery first-hand.
Students will have access to the Online Classroom for the duration of the course and the two weeks before class time starts for preparatory work.
Successful students will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
- The key factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing, winemaking, maturation and bottling
- The major grape varieties
- The key characteristics of the principal:
- still wines of the world
- sparkling wines of the world
- fortified wines of the world
- Label terminology
- How to make food and wine pairings
- How to analyse wines to account for their style and quality
- Tutored tastings of approximately 100 wines
- How to taste wines using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
- A site visit to an English vineyard and winery
Do I need any prior knowledge?
This course is specifically designed for individuals with no prior knowledge of wines. All classes are delivered in English therefore a good level of English is beneficial.
What study options are available?
This intensive classroom based course is taught over two consecutive weeks (Monday – Friday). You should allow for study time before and during the course, in addition to the classroom sessions.
This course requires online activities to be completed prior to attending the classroom sessions.
9.00am – 5:00pm
Two consecutive weeks (Monday to Friday)
How much does it cost?
(RoW and Saturdays)
The cost includes all study materials (including Level 3 course book - Understanding Wines: Explaining Style and Quality), wine and spirit samples, tuition, six ISO tasting glasses, examination and postage. Level 2 Wine and Spirits course book not included.
The course fee is inclusive of postage and is calculated on the postage address supplied for the receipt of materials.
The exam is assessed in two parts, which take place in the last session of the course:
- A combined theory paper consisting of 50 multiple-choice questions and four short written answer questions.
- A tasting paper consisting of a blind tasting of two wines.
A mark of 55% is required in both parts to pass.
When I signed up to the course, it was after years of thinking I was interested in wine and doing absolutely nothing about it! So, I took the bull by the horns to attend the full-time fortnight’s course. I have to say that I loved every minute of it… But every day, while intensive, I was just so inspired, excited and enthusiastic.
Level 2 Award in Wine and Spirits course book isn’t required reading for this course, however students can purchase it from our shop if they wish.