The world’s favourite French apple brandy is back, and it’s here to stay. Join Stephanie Jordan of Drinking Out Loud to discover the exciting producers and innovators who are modernising this fascinating spirit.
Wednesday, March 4, 2020
Tastings finish between 8.00 and 8.30pm.
39-45 Bermondsey Street, London. SE1 3XFShow on map
How much does it cost?
Advanced spirits tasting
Calvados is the oldest of the three great brandies of France - a mostly apple-based spirit (with a little pear) which was traditionally produced by farmer distillers. In recent years, larger industrial distilleries have dominated the category and this historic spirit has fallen out of favour with modern bars and spirits drinkers.
But as we enter a new decade, Calvados’ rather traditional image is starting to shift, with the spirit predicted by many to be a top UK drinks trend in 2020. To showcase some of the new vibrancy and diversity emerging within the appellation, we have invited Stephanie Jordan, member of the IDAC and a Calvados brand owner, to deliver this masterclass.
Stephanie will explore the history and production of Calvados whilst focusing on the future of the category and the young, fresh faces joining the AOC and starting to shake things up. The session will also discuss the nuances of why Calvados production is so sustainable and the recent efforts taken by the appellation and a handful of brands to dust things off and make Calvados a relevant and exciting option for the 21st Century spirits lover.
The tasting will include various styles of Calvados including traditional Pays d’Auge and Domfrontais alongside fresh new make, modern style AOC and original finishes.
- Calvados Pays d’Auge, 8 ans, Jean-Roger Groult
- Calvados Domfrontais, VSOP, Louis de Lauriston
- Calvados Domfrontais, Hors d’âge, Frédéric Pacory
- Calvados Pays d’Auge, Original, Calvados Dupont
- Calvados, 6 ans, Calvados Garnier
- Pommeau de Normandie, La Ferme de Billy
- Distillery Coquerel Bourbon cask finish
- Calvados, Avallen
- Some new make spirit
Booking Terms and Conditions
Payment in full must be made at the time of booking and places are not confirmed until payment has been received. Unfortunately we cannot take provisional bookings.
Cancellations and transfers
- Cancellations and transfers can be made up to two weeks before the event
- Cancellations within 10 working days are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to another event
- If you need to change a name on the booking, please give us as much notice as possible
- WSET School London reserves the right to cancel an event. If necessary, a full refund or transfer will be offered.
If you would like to book over the phone or have any particular enquiries about this event, please call our Student Services team on 020 7089 3841. We can also be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.