Take a dive into the weird and wonderful history of wine as we trace its humble beginnings in the Caucasus to the high tables of kings and queens and into kitchen cabinets across the world.
This three-part series uncovers the true stories that explain the when, where and how of the history of the wine. Each week we'll explore a different period of history and sample a range of wines that reflect the style of times gone by.
Sample list coming soon...
- Wednesday 25 January: from the cradle of wine to Ancient Rome
- Wednesday 1 February: Burgundy, Bordeaux and beyond
- Wednesday 8 February: the making of modern wine
Purchase a series ticket and save £20!
About the presenter, Sam Povey
Sam Povey is a wine educator from Aberdeen, Scotland. He first discovered his interest in wine at university and pursued it by travelling to Georgia and his local wine shop. Before joining the industry, he was an economics tutor but fell into wine when he took a job behind the bar at an urban winery. He then moved into wine and food retail in north London: managing wine lists, hosting tastings and training staff. Today, he teaches the WSET Levels 1-2 Awards in Wines and hosts events at WSET School London. Read our Q&A with Sam.
Booking terms and conditions
Payment in full must be made at the time of booking and places are not confirmed until payment has been received. Unfortunately we cannot take provisional bookings.
Cancellations and transfers
- Cancellations and transfers can be made up to two weeks before the event.
- Cancellations within 10 working days are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to another event.
- If you need to change a name on the booking, please give us as much notice as possible.
- WSET School London reserves the right to cancel an event. If necessary, a full refund or transfer will be offered.
Please note: The sample list and speaker/s may be subject to change.
Beginner: No prior knowledge required, only enthusiasm! Perfect if you want to try something new, brush up on the basics, or taste some delicious drinks.