What flavours result from barrel ageing wine? What do ‘carbonic maceration’ and 'cork taint' smell like? Answer these questions, and many more, at this all-day flavour chemistry workshop, led by sensory scientist Sietze Wijma.
Hundreds of different flavour and aroma compounds have been identified in wine. These can be traced back to different grape varieties, winemaking techniques and microorganisms.
At this intensive, all-day event, flavour chemistry specialist Sietze Wijma – who boasts an MSc in in Sensory Science – will explain the origins of over 25 important flavour compounds in white wine, red wine and wine ‘faults’ - and teach you to recognise them.
The compounds that will be discussed include rotundone, eucalyptol and TCA, and many more!
How will it work?
The day will be split into the following sessions:
- 8:45am: Arrival and introduction
- 9:00am – 11:00am: Session 1: Explore aroma compounds in white wine
- 11:00am – 11:30am: Break
- 11:30am – 1:30pm: Session 2: Explore faults in wine
- 1:30pm – 2:30pm: Lunch (provided)
- 2:30pm – 4:30pm: Session 3: Explore aroma compounds in red wine
- 4:30pm – 5:30pm: The day will finish with an optional tasting of 4 top quality wines
In each session, you will be given 11 samples of the same neutral wine, then a variety of aroma compounds will be added to 10 glasses to help you identify specific flavours or ‘faults’. Each session will conclude with a blind recognition activity to put your tasting skills to the test.
About the presenter, Sietze Wijma
Sietze is a wine and beer enthusiast, based in the Netherlands. With his company The Art of Tasting he delivers unique tastings, shares his knowledge about flavour chemistry and helps people become better tasters. He has previously worked in England for a producer of flavour chemicals. Sietze is a student for the WSET Diploma, is an Advanced Cicerone®️, and has a MSc in Sensory Science.
Booking terms and conditions
Payment in full must be made at the time of booking and places are not confirmed until payment has been received. Unfortunately we cannot take provisional bookings.
Cancellations and transfers
- Cancellations and transfers can be made up to two weeks before the event.
- Cancellations within 10 working days are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to another event.
- If you need to change a name on the booking, please give us as much notice as possible.
- WSET School London reserves the right to cancel an event. If necessary, a full refund or transfer will be offered.
Please note: The sample list and speaker/s may be subject to change.
Masterclass: Our most advanced sessions, suitable for those who have a WSET Level 3 qualification or equivalent knowledge. Gain expert knowledge and insights from a specialist speaker.