Join cheese writer Patrick McGuigan and Master of Wine Lydia Harrison as they join forces again to discuss all things cheese and wine.
Patrick McGuigan and Lydia Harrison MW have become something of a cheese and wine pairing dream team, having hosted many brilliant tastings together over the last couple of years.
In this session, they'll start by covering the key principles of how to taste cheese and how to taste wine, before a lively discussion of the four key styles of cheese (goats, soft, hard and blue) and how they interact with four fundamental wine styles: sparkling, white, red and sweet.
A variety of pairings will be explored from the classic to the more unusual. If you would like to taste alongside, Patrick and Lydia will be enjoying the following examples. If you can't find these styles, we've provided some alternatives in brackets which would also work well.
- Semi-hard Goats (Cheshire, Caerphilly, crumbly cheese)
- Camembert (Brie)
- Aged Cheddar (Comte, Gruyere)
- Stilton (Gorgonzola, Roquefort)
- Cava (Champagne, English fizz)
- Sauvignon Blanc (Albarino, Bacchus)
- Southern Rhone Red e.g. Vacqueyras (Rioja, Shiraz)
- Sweet fortified e.g. port, sherry or madeira (any sweet wine)
Join in with one or all four cheeses and wines, or whatever you have available, and see what you enjoy!
Let us know what you're tasting on Instagram:
If you enjoy the webinar, we would love to welcome you onto one of our WSET wine courses, all of which can be studied online from your home. More details here.