Enjoy a panoply of weird and wonderful grapes in the final session of the Germany series, where we'll explore the regions of Baden, Wurttemberg, and Franken, which have reputations for producing outstanding wines from varieties other than Riesling.
German wine is often synonymous with Riesling, but it's not the only grape variety that Germany has to offer. The final installment of our Germany series will showcase some superb wines from regions that produce lesser-known and less-exported varietals.
Join WSET School London educator Julia Lambeth DipWSET on a tour of the German regions that have more of a reputation for their non-Riesling wines.
From Franken we will be trying top-quality Silvaner, a grape variety synonymous with this easterly region. From Wurttemberg, there will be two lesser-known black varieties, Lemberger and Trollinger, and we’ll finish with some top Spätburgunder (Pinot Noir) from Baden. These wines are harder to find and often excellent value, come along to discover a new favourite!
You'll also get a German cheese and charcuterie to taste alongside the flight of wines.
Example wine list
- Wingut Lanz Johanniter
- Ziereisen Gutedel
- Wirsching Iphöfer Kronsberg Alte Reben Scheurebe Erste Lage
- Wingut Rudolf May Rothlauf Silvaner GG
- Andi Knauss Strumpfelbach Trollinger
- Ellwanger Hebsacker Berg Lemberger GG
- Jurgen Von der Mark Engerstein Pinot Noir
- Dr Heger Achkarrer Schlossberg Spätburgunder GG
Other sessions in the series
About the presenter, Julia Lambeth DipWSET
Julia started out in the wine trade as a novice, working at Majestic Wine for a number of years as a retail manager. After completing the WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wines and winning the Codorníu Scholarship prize, she started a wine tasting company running WSET courses alongside a variety of other wine, beer, spirit and sake events. Julia joined WSET School London's teaching faculty in September 2019. She now teaches our wine courses across all levels, and develops new events and tastings to support their studies. Read our Q&A with Julia.
Booking terms and conditions
Payment in full must be made at the time of booking and places are not confirmed until payment has been received. Unfortunately we cannot take provisional bookings.
Cancellations and transfers
- Cancellations and transfers can be made up to two weeks before the event.
- Cancellations within 10 working days are non-refundable and cannot be transferred to another event.
- If you need to change a name on the booking, please give us as much notice as possible.
- WSET School London reserves the right to cancel an event. If necessary, a full refund or transfer will be offered.
Please note: The sample list and speaker/s may be subject to change.
Intermediate: An in-depth exploration of a particular topic. Some prior knowledge is beneficial – such as a WSET Level 2 qualification – but these sessions will be enjoyable and educational for anyone with an interest in the subject.