Discover a fascinating Japanese beverage that has taken the world by storm.
This hands-on one-day course offers the ideal introduction to sake for interested enthusiasts and those working with sake.
In a short space of time, you’ll find yourself fascinated by this diverse Japanese beverage and eager to explore more.
The course will cover:
- The basic principles of sake production
- The main types and styles of sake
- Factors affecting the flavour of sake
- Tutored tastings of 8 sakes
- How to serve sake
- How to describe sake using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT)
By the end of the course you’ll know the principal categories of sake available, what defines them and what characteristics to expect from them. You’ll have learned how to taste and describe sake using a globally recognised approach and will know how to serve and store sake optimally. You'll also be familiar with some important Japanese sake labelling terms.
The Level 1 Award in Sake exam consists of 30 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 45 minutes. To pass you must correctly answer 70% of the questions. Successful students will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
This qualification is Ofqual regulated.
No prior sake knowledge is required, just enthusiasm! All our classes are delivered in English therefore a good level of English is beneficial.
You must be at least 18 years old to enrol on any of our courses.
There is no need to prepare anything before starting your Level 1 Award in Sake course.
However anyone embarking on a WSET qualification should familiarise themselves with the qualification specification. This document will help you understand what to expect and what you will get out of the course.
We have two study options available for this course at WSET School London.
1. Day release course | £210
- Where: WSET School London
- Duration: 9:00am-5.00pm on one day (includes exam)
- Private study: Not required. There are recapping and revision exercises throughout the day
- Samples: In-class sake samples included
- Includes: Your workbook, 10 sake samples, six hours of tuition, your examination, and exclusive offers via our Student Deals Card
- Who: Those who want to complete the course as quickly as possible
2. Enhanced online course | £160
- Where: Online via WSET’s Online Classroom*
- Duration: Four weeks self-guided study to be completed around your schedule
- Private study: At least three hours a week
- Samples: Sakes not included. We recommend you taste a minimum of seven sake styles and you‘ll get guidance on what styles to taste
- Includes: Access to WSET's Online Classroom for one year, a dedicated online tutor, your examination, and exclusive offers via our Student Deals Card
- Enhanced features: Revision videos, flash cards and exam tips
- Who: Those who need a flexible study option, international students or those far away from our classroom centres
- Technology requirements: We recommend that you use a laptop or desktop device and have a reliable internet connection. To sit your examination online you will also need one additional smart device such as a smartphone or tablet
*More information on how online examinations work will be shared with you once you enrol. If you are a student in Mainland China or the UAE, it’s not possible for you to take the exam online due to technological restrictions.
Made your decision?