Develop your expertise in distilled beverages and gain knowledge and understanding of a broad range of spirits and liqueurs in a brand-neutral environment.
The WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits covers the main categories of spirits and liqueurs, and examines the influences of production methods on the different styles available in each category. Throughout the course, you’ll develop analytical tasting skills while exploring the use of spirits in cocktails.
The knowledge gained on this course will be a significant advantage to anyone working with spirits in both the on- and off-trade, and the course is also perfect for spirits enthusiasts wanting to learn more about the product behind the brand.
The course will cover:
- Spirits production methods and how they affect style and quality
- The characteristics of the main styles of spirits and liqueurs
- The major global spirits brands
- Tutored tastings of around 40 spirits and liqueurs (classroom courses only)
- How to taste and describe spirits using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits® (SAT)
Throughout the course you’ll become a more confident spirits taster under the guidance of our expert educators, learning how to use a globally-recognised approach to tasting to analyse the appearance, nose, palate and quality level of a range of styles.
By the end of the course you’ll be able to identify a how key raw ingredients and production methods influence the style and quality of the key spirits and liqueurs of the world. If you work with spirits, you'll be able to confidently provide guidance on the use and service of spirits and make informed recommendations to customers when selecting spirits and liqueurs to meet their taste and price requirements.
The Level 2 Award in Spirits examination consists of 50 multiple-choice questions to be completed in one hour.
- Pass: 55% - 69%
- Pass with Merit: 70% - 84%
- Pass with Distinction: 85% and above
All students who pass the examination will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
This qualification is Ofqual regulated.
No prior knowledge is required and you don't need to complete any other qualification to enrol. If you are completely new to the world of spirits, you may wish to study the Level 1 Award in Spirits first, but this is not essential.
All our classes are delivered in English therefore a good level of English is beneficial.
You must be at least 18 years old to enrol on any of our courses.
This course requires you to undertake a recommended total of 11 hours of private study time. Those choosing the consecutive (intensive) study option are strongly recommended to complete most of the recommended private study hours before starting the course.
The only necessary study material for this course is the Level 2 Award in Spirits study pack, which will be sent to you on booking or can be collected from WSET School London.
We have two study options available for this course at WSET School London.
We recommend selecting the option that best suits your own schedule, factoring in both attendance and private-study requirements. If you are unsure which option will suit you best, please feel free to get in touch.
1. Consecutive (intensive) course | £450
- Where: WSET School London
- Duration: 9am-5pm over two consecutive days (includes exam)
- Private study: 11 hours. We recommend completing the majority of home study before the course begins
- Samples: In-class spirit samples included
- Includes: Your workbook, 30 spirit samples, six tasting glasses, 14 hours of tuition, access to WSET School London additional resources on WSET’s Online Classroom, your examination, and exclusive offers via our Student Deals Card
- Who: Those who want to complete the course as quickly as possible
2. Enhanced online course | £360
- Where: Online via WSET’s Online Classroom, with exam in London or online*
- Duration: Five weeks self-guided study to be completed around your schedule
- Private study: At least six hours a week
- Samples: Spirits not included. We recommend you taste a minimum of eight spirits and you‘ll get guidance on what styles to taste
- Includes: Access to WSET's Online Classroom for one year (where you can participate in online lessons, activities, tests and forums), a dedicated online tutor who is available to answer your questions during the course, your examination, and exclusive offers via our Student Deals Card
- Enhanced features: Revision videos, flash cards and exam tips
- Who: Those who need a flexible study option, international students or those far away from our classroom centres
- Technology requirements: We recommend that you use a laptop or desktop device and have a reliable internet connection. To sit your examination online you will also need one additional smart device such as a smartphone or tablet
*More information on how online examinations work will be shared with you once you enrol. If you are a student in Mainland China or the UAE, it’s not possible for you to take the exam online due to technological restrictions.
Made your decision?
It was great to have tutored tastings for so many different spirits; it has opened up a whole new world to me.