This one-day course is an ideal starting point for wine enthusiasts wanting to get to grips with the basics. In a short space of time, you’ll find yourself feeling much more confident tasting wine, navigating a wine list, buying bottles and pairing wine with food.
This high end course will be run by Charlotte Kristensen DipWSET in the luxurious Michelin-star setting of Hide, with breakfast, canapés and lunch created by Ollie Dabbous. Attendees will taste an impressive selection of exceptional wines, before finishing the day with a tour of Hide’s cellars, a 30-question multiple-choice test to gain your WSET certificate and lapel pin, and a Champagne reception.
Also taking place on Monday 6 February.
What you'll learn
- The main types and styles of wine
- Common wine grapes and their characteristics
- How to make food and wine pairings
- Tutored tasting of nine wines (except online courses)
- How to store and serve wine
- How to describe wine using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
By the end of the course you’ll be able to taste wine using a globally recognised approach, identify key styles of wine and characteristics of important grape varieties. You’ll also learn the key principles of food and wine pairing and how to apply these to your own food and wine choices.
About the educator, Charlotte Kristensen DipWSET
Charlotte Kristensen is a city lawyer-turned-wine communicator. Charlotte attained her WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wines in October 2020, she is the weekly wine columnist for You Magazine (Mail on Sunday), hosted the podcast “A View from the Vineyard” and consults, presents and produces content for PR campaigns for wine regions and brands across the world.
The samples you'll taste*
- Clos Marguerite Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough 2020
- Sancerre La Grande Chatelaine Mellot 2017
- Whispering Angel 2021
- Château Beychevelle 2005
- Stags Leap Fay 2015
- Puligny Montrachet Les Charmes Alain Chavy 2019
- Chateau d'Yquem 1996
- Chablis Moreau Naudet 2020
- Ridge Estate Chardonnay 2019
- JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese 2020
- Pommard Les Pezerolles de Montille 2009
- Vina Tondonia Rioja Reserva Tinto Lopez de Heredia 2009
- Yarra Yering Underhill Shiraz 2014
- Bruno Paillard Brut Premiere Cuvee NV
*the wines listed are a sample and subject to change depending on stock availability