This session explores the history and wine producing regions of Mexico.
Join us as we celebrate Mexican Independence Day with an exploration of Mexican wines. Our panel of expert speakers will cover the history of Mexico as a wine producing region before focusing on Baja California, Altiplano and Chihuaha. We will discover more about the sub regions, how the climate and topography affects growing conditions, and the varieties of wines produced there. The panel will end with a look at the future of Mexican wine and allow time for any questions.
The new series of free 60-minute webinars are open to anyone and are ideal for beginners looking to learn more about wine.
Valentina Garza, Associate/Director, Escuela de Vino del Altiplano
Valentina graduated in Humanities from the University of La Rioja Spain (2008-2013) with a postgraduate degree in Wine Tourism and Wine Trade at the Centre de Formation Professionnelle et de Promotion Agricole de Beaune, Burgundy, France (2013-2014). Since 2014, she has been the director of the Altiplano Wine School.
The World Organisation of Vine and Wine (OIV) appointed her in 2021 as an expert in the following subjects:
- Viticulture - Sustainable development and climate change.
- Oenology - Specification of oenological products.
- Economics and law - Consumer law and information - Economic analysis, markets and consumption - Training.
- Health and safety - Consumption, nutrition and health.
She is a consultant for wine tourism and wine events. She has been a judge at the Mexico Selection By Concours Mondial de Bruxelles on several occasions. Líderes Mexicanos magazine considers her one of the 25 leaders of Mexican wine (2021).
Laura Santander, Owner of Hermitage
Laura is a certified sommelier by the Court of Sommeliers and was awarded the Best Sommelier of the year 2019. She went on to graduate with a degree in Hospitality from CESSA University in 2020. Laura has won many prestigious awards including:
- Tequila Teacher by the Mexican Academy of Tasters of Tequila, Wine and Mezcal AC.
- Best Sommelier by the Mexican Association of Sommeliers.
- Best Sommelier by La Cave.
- Award of Excellence Wine Spectator 2012-2020.
- First Place in The Nose of México.
Laura was also an Editorial Council member for the Reforma newspaper. Laura opened Hermitage and La Wineria in April 2022.
This event does not necessarily constitute official WSET course material and should not be used as such.