WSET Diploma helped take my career in the industry to a new level. It empowered me to discuss wine with confidence and lead others through their own journey in wine. This course is the benchmark for anyone who is looking to be a professional in wine.
This qualification has a minimum requirement of 500 hours* of study time:
- 116 hours of delivery time with a WSET course provider (classroom or online)
- 370 hours of personal study and revision, including preparing an independent research assignment (D6)
- Examinations for each unit (excluding D6) totalling 11 hours 50 minutes.
It normally takes between 18 months and 3 years to complete the Diploma. Each unit is weighted differently in terms of hours of study required, the table below shows the minimum guided learning time, private study time and the weighting applied against each unit.
*Delivery will vary by course provider; however, this is the minimum requirement that should be met.
To complete the Diploma you must pass all six units, successfully meeting the rigorous assessment requirements across the syllabus. Assessment varies by Unit:
D1 – Wine production
1½ hour closed-book examination made up of open-response questions
D2 – Wine business
1 hour closed-book examination made up of open-response questions
D3 – Wines of the world
A theory and tasting examination to be held over two consecutive days:
- Day one – A two-part theory exam formed of open-response questions to be completed in 3 hours 20 minutes (one 2-hour paper and one 80-minute paper).
- Day two – A two-part blind tasting examination of 12 wines to be completed in 3 hours (two papers of 1½ hours)
D4 – Sparkling wines
1½ hour closed-book examination made up of open-response questions and a blind tasting of three sparkling wines
D5 – Fortified wines
1½ hour closed-book examination made up of open-response questions and a blind tasting of three fortified wines
D6 – Independent research assignment
One research assignment of 3,000 words
Those who successfully complete the Diploma will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin and will be able to use the post-nominal “DipWSET” and associated WSET certified logo. You will also become a member of our Alumni Body, with access to our quarterly reports and a number of exclusive events.