A primary device and a secondary device are required. To sit a remotely invigilated exam, it is required that devices you intend to use meet the following technical requirements and are set up properly. Supported devices are listed below including a list of unsupported devices.
PRIMARY DEVICE (to take the exam):
Ping: 25 or lower
Tethering is not supported
The latest version of Google Chrome
Maximum resolution of 1280 x 720
Recommended resolution 1440 x 900
Windows 8 or higher
Mac OS X and newer releases
64-bit Ubuntu 14.04+, Debian 8+, openSUSE 13.3+, or Fedora Linux 24+
Latest Version of ChromeOS
Devices not supported for Primary Device:
X Android tablets (Nexus 7, etc.), iOS tablets (iPad, iPad mini, etc.) and Microsoft Surface Pro (and earlier versions).
SECONDARY DEVICE (for recording the exam room):
You will need a mobile device or tablet on which you will download the ProctorExam app. Instructions for downloading the app will be provided during the system check process
Android device specification
5.1 or higher
iOS (Apple) device
10.0 or higher
Devices not supported for Secondary Device:
X Huawei P30 series, Huawei Y9S and the Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016)
Note: Technical requirements are always subject to change. Last updated October 2023.
Attempting to use a device and/or a VPN that is intended for work purposes may have restricted access and admin rights installed. Personal devices should be used whenever possible. If you are using a work device, you may find that you are not able to use the platform due to settings and security applied by your IT. This may cause issues when trying to access the ProctorExam platform and therefore it is recommended to use a personal laptop. Note: We cannot guarantee a successful testing experience if a work device is used.
Ignore system updates after completing system check
To prevent any issues, we advise candidates not to take any system updates once the system check is complete. Please wait until you have submitted your exam.
It is not possible to take an RI exam within Mainland China or the UAE due to technological restrictions. WSET will not be liable for any costs associated if you choose to take this exam or any RI retakes. Contact your WSET APP if you have any questions.
Exam Room Setup
Choose an exam room where the secondary device can be placed approximately 3 meters/10 feet away from you and at least provide a side view of yourself, your desk, your screen and your exam environment.
Set up where the Wi-Fi signal is strongest. A wired connection is a more stable connection.
Device Setup Requirements
PRIMARY DEVICE SETUP INSTRUCTIONS
1. Check if you have the latest version of Google Chrome:
- On your computer, open Chrome
- Click on the icon in the upper corner that looks like three dots
- Click on help
- Click on About Google Chrome which will then show your latest version and if up to date or not
To update Google Chrome:
Click on the icon in the upper corner that looks like three dots
- Click Update Google Chrome. If you don’t see this button, you’re on the latest version
- Click Relaunch
2. Allow pop-ups for ProctorExam:
- Type chrome://settings/content into your Google Chrome browser and press Enter
- Click on Privacy and Security
- Click on Site Settings
- Scroll down and click on Pop-ups and redirects
- In 'Allow', click 'Add' and enter https://surpass.proctorexam.com
3. Install ProctorExam extension/plugin within Chrome to allow screen sharing:
- Type https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions into your Google Chrome browser and press Enter.
- Search for ProctorExam
- Click on ‘add to chrome’
- Click on ‘add extension’
(4) If you are using a macOS version Catalina or newer primary device, in order for screenshare to work please ensure you have screenshare enabled by following these steps (Your exam will not work without screenshare enabled) *macOS Ventura instructions, see 4.4
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click Privacy.
- Select Screen Recording
- Ensure Screen Recording is selected next to the Google Chrome:
- Click the "+" symbol.
- Scroll through applications and highlight Google Chrome.
- Confirm this addition by clicking "open".
- Select the tickbox next to the Google Chrome app to allow it to record your screen.
- *For macOS Ventura follow this guide https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/control-access-to-screen-recording-on-mac-mchld6aa7d23/13.0/mac/13.0
SECONDARY DEVICE SETUP INSTRUCTIONS
1. Download the ProctorExam Mobile application
- Find the ProctorExam application in the Apple App Store or Google Play store depending on what type of device you are using.
- Allow the application to access your camera
Note: During System Check Step 4, with your secondary device's ProctorExam application open; you will scan the QR code showing on your primary device.
TEST YOUR EQUIPMENT
1. Open your email from firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: "Please check that your computer is ready for your remotely invigilated exam" and click on TEST YOUR EQUIPMENT NOW.
2. Follow the on screen prompts to complete your System Checks.
3. This user guide shows you how to test your equipment and set up for your exam https://tds.surpass.com/oi-resources/candidate-tutorial/
If you find that your webcam or microphone or screenshare does not work, please see the below resources that may assist with fixing this:
You can use the following resources to check your equipment is working correctly:
Microphone – https://www.onlinemictest.com/
Webcam- https://www.onlinemictest.com/webcam-test/ or https://webcammictest.com/